Sunday 3 August 2014

BEYOND GRAINLESS: DAY 6 JOURNAL

- Please visit here to see why I'm challenging myself to live as a modern cave-woman for 21 days -

MODERN FORAGING

On the back of yesterday's meat haul I paid a visit to The Honey Tree and bought some fairtrade bananas and nectarines, local portabello mushrooms, organic double cream, kefir yoghurt and Scottish mackerel. I love how everytime I go into this shop there is something new to try!
If you're wondering what kefir is visit here, but the short of it is that it's a fermented, low lactose dairy product which is very good for gut flora. Other fermented foods include sauerkraut, kombucha (must try) and kimchi. 

A WORD ON SWEET POTATO

I had a query as to why I am eating sweet potato but not white potato and I think this quote sums it up best:
"Sweet potatoes are different from potatoes in that they do not contain several harmful substances such as saponins and lectins, which may increase your intestinal permeability (if consumed regularly) and rev-up your immune system."
They can also be eaten raw (like in this recipe), and therefore I am including them into my diet sparingly. Today I ate a small sweet potato split between two meals. The pork recipe was fantastic - here's the link, though I replaced the flour with spices.
Bacon, scrambled eggs in butter, grated sweet potato, spinach, red onion, tomato and a nectarine.
Pork loin steak marinated in jerk seasoning, and topped with a sauce of red onion, garlic, red wine and honey. Served with steamed sweet potato and courgette.

EXERCISE - ABBREVIATED PEM WORKOUT

Today's challenge was to complete one set of maximum reps for push ups and squats with a five minute warm up. I ended up doing a 15 minute warm up of yoga stretches and managed 20 full push ups and 60 squats - I think I could have done more squats to be honest but I was running late for a social event! Excuses...

SUMMARY COMMENTS

Daily energy levels 1-10: Today my energy levels were pretty consistent. I had quite an active day of cleaning and walking around, so only felt pleasantly tired in the evening. -9- 

Hunger levels between meals 1-10: I was occupied all day and only had two meals, which was actually enough. Before this challenge I would pick at food all day! -1-

Satisfaction level with meals 1-10: Food was amazing today -10-

Benefits noticed from primal efforts 1-10: Consistent energy levels, no cravings, no sugar crashes and still no bloating. Without grossing people out, the best part is definitely having no IBS symptoms. Before the challenge, some days it would be so bad that I didn't want to leave the house for the fear that I would fall ill. This week has been blissful, being able to live without these fears and discomforts. It's safe to say that after this challenge I will not be returning to my 'old' way of eating -10-

Daily highlight(s): the cream coffee and the pork. 

Daily needs to improve: none. Win!

Success score: 9/10

Click here for Day 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...