Wednesday 4 March 2015

FREELETICS //

At the end of January 2015 I quit the gym. After several years of doing the same thing, it was time for a change. It was a challenge deciding what to do next; I knew I personally would get the best results using a program of some sort, whether it be a personalised group plan or something made up myself. In the end, these guys won me over with their New Year discounted app. In the first week of February 2015, I started a journey to become a free athlete. I bought the digital Freeletics coach.

In a nutshell, Freeletics is a fitness program founded in Munich by Andrej Matijczak, Joshua Cornelius and Mehmet Yilmaz in 2013.

High Intensity Workouts
Short and intense, each workout takes between 15-45 minutes and exercises should be completed as fast as possible. It has been likened to CrossFit. Movements such as as sprintingstretching and many body weight exercises are combined and mixed in numerous combinations. These include Burpees, Climbers, Pushups, Pullups, Situps, Leglever, Handstand pushups, Jackknives, Squats, Deep Squats, Burpee Frogs, Jumps, High jumps.

Personalised
If you buy the coach, it works with the information you give and bases your next week of training around feedback. This makes it available for everyone, even if you have limitations.

Accessible
You exercise with your body weight only. No need for any equipment, meaning you can workout anywhere at any time.

Social vs. Independent
There is also a community to be found online, where you can follow, share results and compete with other free athletes around the world. You can participate as little or as much as you want. The community and the base app, including a few workouts, are free to use.

So what is their selling point? Why are people drawn to Freeletics over other workout plans?

They have a strong social media presence with regular blog posts advising on nutrition (of which they offer a personalised plan). They post #fitspiration photos and quotes on their Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts. But I would say their number one selling point are their YouTube transformation videos, featuring guys like Levant here:


This much change in just 15 weeks. Seriously, you can't get much more motivating than that. Regular people who are not paid to transform with Freeletics post new videos every day; it is a fast growing phenomenon.

I wanted in; and for under £1 a week, who needs the gym? ;-)

So 4 weeks ago I took some before photos and got started. Stay tuned for updates about my progress so far, including how I am cleaning up my diet and my ideas for starting a Freeletics group in Newcastle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...