On 28 July 2014 I will start my 21 day sponsored challenge to live as a modern cave-woman. My aim is to raise £150 for Crohn's and Colitis UK - please visit my JustGiving page for more information.
I will follow 'The Primal Blueprint' guidelines as outlined here. However, as the rules were written by a resident of Malibu in California, I feel that they need adapting ever so slightly to work in Newcastle, England ;-)
Remember the 'Eat Well Plate' a.k.a the current governmental guidance on what should make up a healthy diet? Well this the pyramid I'll be following from 28 July.
Just a wee bit different eh?
Here are the rules plus my adaptations:
- Eat real food. a.k.a no ready meals, takeaways etc.
- Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes.
- Align your carbohydrate intake with your weight goals and activity levels. Around 100g a day.
- Move frequently at a slow pace: Get between 2-5 hours per week of moderate aerobic exercise. I'm going to aim for 10,000 steps a day.
- Lift heavy things: Conduct 1-3 brief, intense sessions of full-body functional movements.
- Sprint: Go “all out” once a week.
- Get 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Get 15 minutes of direct sun exposure each day. Have to laugh here. Where possible!
- Play! Find time to let go, disconnect, unwind and have fun each day. Frisbee anyone?!
- aim to eat only seasonal vegetables and fruit, preferably from market stalls;
- only eat locally sourced meat and eggs;
- not drink beer (normally my tipple of choice!), spirits, cocktails, white wine or soft drinks;
- only use natural cosmetics, soaps and deodorant.
Here is what I will not eat:
I think that's about it! Some people think I'm mad, but I'm feeling positive. The biggest challenges will be:
- resisting my favourite beer in the pub;
- eating out;
- not having my usual after dinner sweet treat;
- not driving my boyfriend, friends and family completely mad.