Tuesday 25 March 2014

RECIPE: CORNBREAD BROCCOLI MUFFINS


This is a recipe that I discovered on Simply Cooked, after doing my usual Pinterest search of two random ingredients I want to fit together. This time they were broccoli and cornbread mix, which to be honest I didn't have much hope of finding.


Luckily I came across this one. Weird, but it works, and I imagine it's a great way of hiding vegetables in more appealing food for kids.

I adapted the recipe to make it gluten free and it worked very well!


Ingredients

11 small broccoli florets, each smaller than a muffin cup
1 cup coarse whole grain cornmeal
1 cup gluten free flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/4 cup (310 ml) milk
1 egg
1/4 cup (75 ml) vegetable oil
1/3 cup (40 g) grated strong cheese


Directions

  1. Blanch the broccoli florets for 3 minutes, then cool with cold water and dry well with a clean tea towel.
  2. Mix the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, turmeric, and chilli powder in a large bowl.
  3. Add the milk, egg, and oil and whisk well.
  4. Fold in the grated cheese.
  5. Put a large spoonful of batter in each of 11 muffin cups and then stand a broccoli floret in each.
  6. Use the remaining batter to cover the broccoli.
  7. Bake at 355 F (180 C) for 20 minutes.
  8. Let cool in the pan for five minutes, then cool completely on a rack.

I love the way the turmeric makes them all golden and ombre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...