Friday 13 December 2013

BREAKFASTS (AND HOW TO MAKE SCRAMBLED EGGS, BUT BETTER)

Here are a few of the breakfasts I have enjoyed recently.

Strawberries, raspberry jam on gluten free bread and one egg scrambled.




A note on scrambling eggs: as a firm egg lover I HATE them over-scrambled. The texture should not be fluffy and hard, but instead should be smooth and silky, melt in the mouth. Here is how to make them that way.

You will need:

- a frying pan, rather than a saucepan
- knob of butter
- eggs
- a splash of milk (about as much as you'd put in builder's tea)
- pinch of black pepper
- pinch of salt

1. gently whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. The yolks should still be lightly separated from the whites.
2. melt the butter in the frying pan on med-high heat.
3. add the egg mixture and then do nothing. No stirring!
4. after about 30 seconds take the pan off the heat
5. use a spatula to pull the semi-omelette around the pan so it is all cooked
6. transfer to plate

Soo much better!

Oats with fruit


 
This is what I eat most weekday mornings before heading to work. I add 1/2 a cup of oats and 100ml of semi skimmed milk to a bowl, and microwave for 50 seconds. I then add a variation of toppings, it depends how decadent vs. healthy I'm feeling.

- flaxseed
- fruit
- jam
- peanut butter
- pecans
- vanilla extract
- dates
- cake crumbles

The above image is plum and a dollop of cherry jam!

Gluten free pancakes, bacon and honey



The weekender! Apologies for the photo quality, I guess I was just shaking with hunger...

I've had mixed success with gluten free pancakes, and you'd be forgiven for thinking the above image was naan bread. The taste is good, but I prefer mine to be more crepe-like. I'll try again with plain flour next time.

Honey is the poor man's maple syrup in this context. Made on a whim :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...