Monday 22 February 2016

RECIPE // warm chicken salad with white beans and feta

GLUTENFREE, PALEO, SUGARFREE, DAIRYFREE (without cheese)


But first...an update (scroll down for the recipe if you don't give a crap).

I think today was the first 'normal' Monday that I have actually enjoyed in forever. I say normal to distinguish it from those Mondays which aren't typical working days, like those spent on holiday, bank holidays or otherwise. What I'm talking about is a bog standard usual day; the weekend is over, you go to work, you do some food shopping, run errands, get back into your exercise routine and maybe restart your healthy eating pattern. Before today, a typical Monday for me was met with disdain, it was a day to just get through. On the contrary today I felt like I was living, I was present in the moment at all times, and I enjoyed myself.

All because I spent more time doing what I wanted to do.
Recently I took the plunge and reduced my full time office job to part time. It had been on my mind for several months, I really wanted more time to pursue interests in nutrition and fitness, however until recently I did not have the balls to do it. For as long as I remember, making decisions has been a struggle. Every time I was faced with a decision, I would have an internal battle. The worst was when the decision I had to make would inevitably displease someone, I would become paralyzed with fear. I think this a trait that a lot of people can relate to.

After deliberating over the pros and cons of reducing my hours for what seems like an age, something snapped and I just went with my gut feeling. I stopped caring whether it would work out or not in the short term, but concentrated on how I would feel in the far distant future. One thought stood out:

"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take"

I am currently spending the next few weeks preparing for some exciting new ventures, which I want to keep relatively quiet about until I know a lot more. I am prepared to work really hard to get where I want to be, which is such an alien feeling for me; I always assumed I was the type of person who works to live rather than lives to work. However I am coming around to the idea that life doesn't have to be about living for the weekends. Working IS a huge part of daily life, so why not aim to be happy doing it? For me, that means pursuing a career which is more balanced and meaningful, for me and for others. Once I can find happiness by making people happy, then I'll know I'll have reached my goal. I can't wait to start the journey and start making a difference.

Apologies for being so vague, I shall stop rambling now and show you my dinner, because it is a great meal to kick start a week of healthy eating. It is nutritionally balanced, both in terms of macro and micro nutrients, it is unprocessed real whole food and takes 10 minutes to make. Plus you get as many portions as you want.

PS. the lunch box is from Black + Blum's new box appetit range which is awesome - the lid acts like a tray, and the cutlery slot together in a cute portable box. These kind of design features please me a lot.

WARM CHICKEN SALAD WITH WHITE BEANS AND FETA
makes 2 portions + extra roasted veg


INGREDIENTS

2 chicken breasts (100g each)
2 cups spinach, washed
200g cannelloni beans, rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
2 lemon wedges
salt and pepper
crumbled feta (optional)

roasted vegetables (save 1/2 for another day)
1 courgette
8 mushrooms
1/2 onion (red or white)
1 red pepper
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper

METHOD
  1. preheat oven to gas mark 6
  2. chop ingredients for roasted vegetables
  3. put vegetables in a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper
  4. roast in oven for 25-30 minutes
  5. meanwhile, mix together garlic, balsamic, mustard, salt and pepper and spread over the chicken breasts
  6. grill under high heat until done, about 7 minutes each side
  7. split spinach and beans onto two plates/tupperware, and top with one chicken breast and 1/4 roasted veg on each.
  8. serve with lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...