Sunday 29 November 2015

REVIEW // High 5 Protein Recovery

I was contacted by Adam from ProBikeKit.co.uk who asked if I would like to try some High 5 Protein Recovery Drink, and as I love supplement powders and use them every day I thought why not? I chose chocolate flavour as I am a chocoholic and find this flavour the most versatile; it works well when paired with milk products and coffee.
A bit of background about the product:
Protein Recovery is the ultimate drink for after exercise and the Pro's choice. The whey isolate used in Protein Recovery is a high quality source of protein. Protein contributes to muscle growth and maintenance. Protein Recovery also contains carbohydrate. After exercise, your muscles are often low in glycogen (carbohydrate). Flavours available are chocolate, banana/vanilla and summer fruits.
I know that most powders are far from healthy, and you’re better off trying to get all your macro-nutrients from food, but they are so versatile. Many people just mix a scoop with water or milk, but I prefer to use mine as an ingredient in meals such as smoothies, iced coffee, proats (protein porridge) and mug cakes. The recommended serving is 3 scoops, which is 18g protein and 39g carbohydrates. Me being a smaller person and using it with other foods, means that I tend to just use 2 scoops which is 12g protein and 26g carbohydrates.
I have tested the powder in these post-workout recipes, and rated them below (note that the serving size I used in each was two scoops a.k.a 30g).

MUG CAKES 5/5
Mmm one of my favourite snacks. I used a recipe adapted from Melfy Cooks Healthy:
  • 2 scoops High 5 Protein Recovery Chocolate
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp sweetener
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp almond milk
  • topped with cacao nibs and whipped cream (because why not!)
This was really enjoyable, not much more I can say about that! Not too sweet or cloying.
PROATS 5/5
One scoop added to my porridge after cooking in almond milk made the bowl lovely and chocolatey. It mixed in very well with no lumps, and the flavour was great. Full marks! This recipe was simply 1/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup almond milk cooked then mixed with 2 scoops High 5 Protein Recovery, choc shot, peanut butter and strawberries.

SMOOTHIE 5/5
I made a Protein Bounty shake and a fruit smoothie to test how well the powder goes with some of my favorites, like banana, strawberries and coconut. It tasted delicious with both, particularly in the bounty milkshake. I used a Nutribullet and there were no lumps left.

ICED MOCHA 2/5
My preferred way to drink coffee (even in winter) is cold: 1 espresso, 4 ice cubes, 1 scoop chocolate protein and 150ml almond milk blended. This is where High 5 Protein Recovery did not work so well. I like my mocha to be frothy and foamy, which in created from powders with high protein content. As this is lower in protein and is more of a complete powder, it was more like a coffee milk. Saying that, it did not leave a chemical aftertaste, which I have noticed some powders do.
----------------------
If you want to know what it’s like mixed with milk or water, have a read of the reviews on ProBikeKit.
So overall, the pros and cons are:
Pros:
  • Gluten free.
  • Great value for money - used the way I do this 1.6kg tub is going to last me a long time! It is very affordable per serving.
  • Product ‘contains dairy products but is lactose free when mixed with water’ which is a confusing statement but means it’s fine for those avoiding dairy products (athough not vegans).
  • It does what it says: I was expecting to feel achy after a Bootcamp class last week and was pleasantly surprised when I felt next to no soreness the following day – score!
Cons:
  • It isn’t as nice when mixed with water - but then not many powders are in my opinion.
  • Not the best choice for those on a low carbohydrate diet, as one scoop has 13g carbohydrates.
You can buy this product from many places online. I got mine from ProBikeKit - thank you for recommending it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...