It has been so hot here in Newcastle, it really is a treat to have bare legs, open toes and no layers! We went to Majorca last month (where has the time gone?!) and we're rivaling the weather here.
This 'speedy supper' uses leftovers from a breakfast recipe of quinoa, beetroot and poached eggs from Madeleine Shaw's Get The Glow cookbook, which itself is a must try. I made too much of the quinoa and beetroot mix, and decided to have it alongside some easy cajun spiced chicken and salad for dinner.
As I appear to be on a constant journey of healing my digestive system and skin, this dish was kind to body, with no refined carbohydrates or sugars. Maybe I should have more meals like this...!
INGREDIENTS (makes 1 portion)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 portion diced chicken or turkey breast
- 50g quinoa cooked in water or chicken stock
- 1/2 beetroot, grated
- a handful spinach, chopped
- 1 head of chicory, chopped
- 1 spring onion, diced
- 1 tsp cajun spice
- 3 tbsp full fat yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp harissa paste
- salt and pepper
- Coat the meat in the cajun spice and fry off in coconut oil;
- Add the chicory to the meat in the last few minutes of cooking;
- Mix the quinoa and into the grated beetroot;
- Serve the meat, spinach and quinoa mix on a plate and sprinkle on spring onion, sunflower seeds, salt and pepper;
- Swirl the harissa paste through the yoghurt.
It is almost too simple to call a recipe really; you could use whatever is in season to go with cajun chicken and yoghurt. Kale instead of spinach, pumpkin instead of sunflower seeds, or red onion instead of spring onion...whatever you have around.
See you next time x