Towards the end of their journey through India they blogged about their discovery of real Indian chai tea, and the recipe sounded so delicious that I had to try it on my own stove. I hope they won't mind if I spread the love a little. Thanks guys and keep it up!
Ingredients1 cup of cold water
1 cup of milk (semi skimmed works well)
1/2 teaspoon course salt
2 tsp of loose Assam or Darjeeling (I used Whittards)
3 tsp of sugar
1 cubic cm of root ginger
black pepper to serve
- Pour the water and milk into a saucepan and turn the heat up high;
- As the mixture starts to warm add the tea and sugar;
- Crush the ginger using the palm of your hand or the flat surface of a knife and drop into the pan;
- Bring the tea to the boil and back down to a simmer, repeat a few times to infuse everything;
- Sieve through a tea strainer (or a normal sieve) into a couple of mugs and grind some black pepper on top.
Recipe adapted from Coping With Al